If you have been wondering how you can send Gmail fax, you came to the right place. Gmail is the most popularly used email service, not just for personal use but business as well. What many people don’t know about Gmail is you can send and receive faxes through your Gmail account! However, it is very rare to find resources online that actually know this exists or know how to do it.
In this article, you will learn how to successfully fax from your Gmail account in a few simple steps, turning your smart phone or laptop into a digital faxing machine. We also provide the best free options to start faxing right away. Here is how you get started:
Sending Fax from Gmail in 5 Easy Steps
Through these five simple steps, you will be able to use fax from email through a fax service effortlessly. Think of the process the way traditional emailing works but with just minor differences:
Instead of applying your recipient’s email in the field titled “TO,” their fax number will be entered by “email form.” I promise it’s not nearly as complicated as it sounds.
The fax document must be in a digital format such as a PDF, DOC, XLS or other media format. The digital file is then attached to your email.
The only thing you need to include in the blank “message” part of the email is the cover page, only if you want to add one.
Before we move on, you need to ensure you have an active account with a Gmail fax service.
We do recommend starting off with a free trial account to see how you like that particular service first, and or take advantage of the free 30 days’ worth of faxing. Now, once you have your account, follow these five easy steps provided for you below:
- Sign in to your Gmail account. Once you are signed in, click the compose button (on the upper left-hand side of your screen) to “create” a new email.
- Enter your recipients’ fax number in the TO field. Make sure this number is followed by your fax providers domain, which would like this: “@faxprovider.com”. For example, you want to send a fax to the number 333-333-333 and your fax provider is Efax. The address you include in the TO field should look like this: 333333333@Efaxsend.com (which is their domain on their help page or welcome email).
- Time to enter a message on the cover sheet. You don’t have to have to include a message; however, you can add a message in the subject or message field of the email if you please.
- Attach your document(s). Remember, you can send documents in the following formats DOC, JPG, TIFF, BMP, XLS, or TXT, and some services may allow more file compatibility. The easiest way to upload these documents is from Google Drive which is very easy to access through Gmail. However, you can upload documents from Dropbox, iCloud, or your computer files. Click the drive icon located beside the paper clip icon.
- Your fax is ready to go. You’re almost done, all you have to do is click the send button and zip- it’s off to its desired location!
The beauty of a fax from email is that the process is fairly quick. It usually doesn’t take much longer than 60 seconds to complete the transmission. In fact, you will receive either a confirmation or error message within that minute to confirm the process of your document.
You won’t have to worry about dealing with any errors, Gmail faxing usually re-sends up to three times before reporting to you on an issue.
Fax Free With The Top Fax Service Providers
We want to help you the best way we can. So, to make this process much easier and stress-free for you, we highly recommend using free trials. Most faxing services offer a one-month free trial; you need to take advantage of it!
Once you are out of your free-trial stage, your card will be charged the usual fee per month for their service. However, if you are dissatisfied with them, you can cancel your account before your 30-day mark to avoid being charged on your credit card.
Receiving Faxes Through Email
If you have had a Gmail account for years and you never knew you could receive a fax, be prepared to be enlightened. In fact, once you sign up for a fax service it is already automatically activated for you to receive faxes.
You will get a free fax number once you sign up with your desired fax service provider. This number allows others to send you faxes straight to your Gmail account.
The process of receiving faxes is incredibly simple.
First, you have to provide your Google fax number to the person who needs to send you a document.
Next, once they send the fax to your number, the digital version will automatically pop up in both your service’s server and your Gmail inbox. You don’t have to do anything besides making sure you are giving your correct number to your contacts.
Many people who use Gmail faxing doesn’t know the added features that come with it:
- Scheduling. No more waiting around your desk to send a document at the right time! Services allow you to set a time and date of when you need to deliver yor fax. This will ensure it is sent at the correct time. You will get a confirmation email once the process is complete containing all the details of the facsimile transmission.
- Faxing from your smart phone. You can use your cell phone for faxing, if you are not near your computer. You can find mobile apps that will integrate with your current online faxing account and Gmail address.
As you can see, sending faxed documents is fairly easy and convenient. You will also be happy to know it is extremely reliable, so no need to buy a bulky machine in your office. Happy faxing!