Do you want to be able to read your Gmail messages on iPhone Mail? Not all people like to use Gmail’s own app. Despite being one of the cleanest and fastest email apps on the market, there are many people who prefer using the Mail app on their iPhones, some because it’s faster, some because they have grown accustomed to using it.
In any case it’s a good idea to learn how to properly set up Gmail in iPhone Mail. Don’t worry, you will still be able to send email to fax with Gmail and receive them as well, this will only change the interface (of the email app) your are using.
Access Gmail Through IMAP
Before getting started, check that IMAP is turned on in your Gmail account. Go to the Settings are of Gmail and in the “Forwarding POP/IMAP” enable it and save the changes. Once this is done, follow these steps:
- 1On your iPhone, go to Settings > Mail.
- 2Tap on Accounts.
- 3Select Add account > Google.
- 4Go to “Sign in with your Google Account” and enter the Gmail address you want to use.
- 5Enter your password.
- 6Tap Next.
- 7Check that Mail is enabled.
- 8Tap on Save.
The first thing you need to do is check if POP is currently enabled on your Gmail account. Head over to your Gmail settings area and in the “Forwarding POP/IMAP” make sure POP is enabled. You can choose between enabling it for all mail or only for mail that arrives from now on. We recommend creating a new account for faxing, so these options won’t make any difference. Once it is done, follow these steps:
- 1Go to Settings on your iPhone.
- 2Tap on Mail.
- 3Tap on Add Account > Other > Add Mail Account.
- 4Enter Gmail address and password, then tap on Next.
- 5Select POP
- 6On Incoming Mail Server > Host Name, enter pop.gmail.com.
- 7On User Name enter your Gmail address.
- 8On Outgoing Mail Server > Host Name, enter smtp.gmail.com
- 9On User Name enter your Gmail address
- 10Enter your password.
- 11Tap on Save.
- 12Tap on your new Gmail account > Outgoing Mail Server > smtp.gmail.com
- 13Select smtp.gmail.com as Primary Server, and enter 465 for Server Port.
- 14When finished, tap on Done.
Will I Still be Able to Fax with My Gmail Address?
Yes, although we are changing the app through which you access Gmail, you are using the same email servers. They will communicate like always with your online fax server, and the faxes you send and receive will still travel through Gmail.
Is It Better Than the Gmail App?
That’s a matter of preference. We prefer the Gmail app because it’s easier to set up and it’s simple enough to send and receive faxes, plus, it lets you integrate with other Google apps. For example you can pull documents from your Google Drive account, without having to upload them from your computer.
On the other hand, the iPhone Mail app is simple, fast and already comes included with your phone at the moment of purchase. Using this app can help you keep things minimal on your phone screen, and it is also simple and easy to use. With the steps you found in this article you’ll have no trouble setting it up!