Since its launch in 2007, Microsoft's OneDrive has become one of the most useful team collaboration and cloud storage tools for businesses and common people who just want to keep their files accessible at all times, no matter where they are in the World.
One of the biggest perks of using OneDrive is that it can be used along other services and apps. In this article you'll learn how to integrate it with faxing. As you'll see, it's pretty easy to do it but you'll need the help of an online fax service. These services link your email to a virtual fax number so you can send and receive fax digitally without the need of a fax machine or multi-function printer.
Faxing from OneDrive can help you save a lot of time and money in the office, and it doesn't require any type of advanced knowledge: There are three ways you can do this:
Fax OneDrive Files from Email
If you've read our guide on faxing from email, then you'll need to follow the same steps to fax via this method. But first you have to enter your OneDrive account and download to your computer the files you want to fax, provided that they are compatible for fax conversion.
To fax via email, you need an online fax service. We recommend creating a free trial account with RingCentral Fax to get started, because it can also be linked to your OneDrive account (the third option in this tutorial).
- Enter OneDrive and download your file.
- Go to your email account and create a new message.
- Enter all fax details according to the instructions provided by your service. Since this is an email-fax, you'll need to enter the number on the TO field (like this: email@example.com) and the cover page on the Body or Subject fields.
- Click on the "Attach" button and pick the file you've just downloaded on your hard drive.
- Press Send and wait until you receive delivery confirmation.
Fax From OneDrive's Print Function
For this method, you'll send the fax directly from OneDrive's application on your computer. This app lets you manage your cloud-based files in the same way you do it with the common file manager. But instead of composing an email, you'll use the Print function to communicate with your online fax provider.
- Open OneDrive and find the file you want to send as fax.
- Open the file.
- On the menu bar click on File > Print
- If you've configured this function upon creating your fax account, you should see your service's name in the list of printers. Choose it.
- Click OK and the file will automatically be taken to your service's companion program, where you'll need to fill out the rest of the fax's details.
- Press Send.
Keep in mind that not all Internet fax services have a desktop application that works this way. We know that top services like RingCentral and eFax do have this implemented, for other services you may need to ask a representative.
Integrating OneDrive with An Online Fax Service
This final method takes advantage of the advanced functions found in your service's members dashboard. All services give you access to an online account from where you can send and receive faxes without having to install anything, this area is know as your dashboard.
The dashboard contains additional options to send a fax. The one that interest us is the option to link your account with a cloud-storage service. If your service has this option you'll be able to link your account with OneDrive and other services like Box or Dropbox.
- Log into your online fax account.
- Navigate to the fax sending area.
- Below the attach file option, click on the OneDrive button.
- Now you need to authorize for the first time the link between both accounts. For later transmissions you won't need to do this.
- Now you need to pick your file(s) from the pop-up window on your OneDrive account. Click OK and it will be downloaded & attached to your fax.
- Press Send
Use any of these 3 methods and forget having to use outdated fax technology for digital documents. Sending faxes doesn't have to be complicated.
Faxing OneDrive documents online is very easy, and you won't have to depend on lengthy setups or deal with fax machine issues. At the same time, it will improve the workflow in team projects, even when members on the same team are in different countries.